Senior Buyer - Home
FBH Buying - Piccadilly
Salary: Competitive and Benefits
Our Head Office department is located in the heart of Piccadilly and occupies the 5th & 6th floor of our beautiful flagship store. This central London location, offers so much to explore including restaurants, bars, cultural sites, shopping and more, and only a short walk from the Green Park Tube Station and plenty of bus stops.
To develop an understanding of the customer profile and be able to anticipate customer needs and expectations in a multichannel environment. Demonstrate an authentic and passionate understanding of brand, product and the competition within the Homewares market. Source new brands and develop product in line with Fortnum’s strategy and commitment to quality. Drive sales and profit through analysis of sales and stock performance (supported by merchandising). Input to sales and stock planning and forecasting cycle. Actively trade product area liaising with all relevant stakeholders
Set direction and strategy for product group working closely with the Merchandising team and other key stakeholders
Reports to: Director of FBH & Hampers
Direct Reports: Buyers, Assistant Buyer, Buying Assistant
Key interfaces: Merchandising, Retail, Warehouse, Marketing, Online & Events
• Develop and deliver the strategic vision across all channels for the departments – Teaware, Home Entertaining, Cook Shop, Picnic, Stationery, Christmas & Bag for Life
• Overall responsibility of the buying for the relevant department, delivering the long and short term vision of the business and buying category.
• Prepare are present capex proposals for sign off at board level.
• Ownership of the buying calendar
• Manage new product development in line the business own label strategy including component sourcing such as packaging
• Lead the direction for sourcing of proprietary ranges
• Relationship management with supplier base
• Ensure all suppliers meet the Fortnum & Mason compliance standards
• Price negotiation
• Set the sales and margin budgets with the relevant stakeholders to maximise sales and profit
• Drive the, retail and merchandising area strategy in order to deliver a world
• Class customer experience, maximising sales and profit density
• Working closely with the merchandising team, to ensure 100% product availability
• Deputise for the Director of Buying as and when required
• Management of internal cross functional relationships ensuring all deadlines are met
• Managing the delivery of promotional calendars
• Deliver internal product training calendar.
• Demonstrate an authentic and passionate understanding of the brand, brand values
• Product and the competition within the market.
• Lead, develop and retain talent within the business.
• Inability to negotiate required margins with key suppliers resulting in lower than acceptable profit
• Markdown or wastage due to poor sales or over ordering
• Failure to grow ‘own label’ sales in line with budget and strategy
• Failure of suppliers to deliver agreed schedule or quality
Role Specific Criteria (Experience/Behaviours/Technical Ability)
• 7 to 10 years’ experience in a Buying role preferably in a luxury retail environment
• Proven and substantial experience in the new product development and ability to incorporate their understanding of future trends to create an innovative must have ‘Own Label’ product
• Demonstrable negotiation and influencing skills
• Proven skills in leading and coaching a high performing buying team.
At Fortnum & Mason we've been innovating for more than 300 years and as part of our mission to deliver a sense of pleasure for the centuries to come. We have grown to be a digitally focused and multi-channel company with the excitement of expanding our family to include those willing to grow with us.
Those who can consistently demonstrate individual initiative within a collaborative team framework, thrive at Fortnum & Mason. If this sounds like you, and you’re ready for the next step in your career, we welcome your application!
We are committed to developing your career and nurturing your talent, regardless of age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation. We respect and embrace each other’s differences, to create a truly inclusive environment.
In the last year alone, our people have been recognised and celebrated, winning awards for their outstanding contributions to Retail, Technology, Global Hospitality & Tourism, Visual Merchandising & Display, Customer Service and Local Community Awards.
In return, we offer:
• A competitive salary
• A generous store and restaurant discount of up to 40%
• 28 days holidays pro rata (inc. bank holidays) and an extra day off for your birthday
• A fantastic subsidised staff restaurant which uses Fortnum’s ingredients
• A range of opportunities to develop and grow personally and professionally
• Excellent pension scheme