Finance - Piccadilly
Salary: Competitive and Benefits
Our Head Office department is located in the heart of Piccadilly and occupies the 5th & 6th floor of our beautiful flagship store. This central London location, offers so much to explore including restaurants, bars, cultural sites, shopping and more, and only a short walk from the Green Park Tube Station and plenty of bus stops.
Providing expert and strategic legal advice to management. Ensuring that the business has the appropriate level of legal due diligence, control, and governance to ensure the brand, IP (Intellectual Property) and operations are appropriately managed and legal risk is mitigated.
Chief Financial Officer
• Drafting, negotiating, and advising on commercial agreements including goods for resale and goods not for resale, licensing, wholesale, franchise, marketing, and IT (Information Technology)
• Providing legal guidance on all commercial and consumer matters including products, pricing, and promotion
• Lead, manage and protect the IP portfolio, working with external trademark attorneys to identify areas of risk and opportunity.
• Identifying and mitigating legal and commercial risk, ensuring compliance with UK and international law
• Guiding the business on internal policies, processes, and training on legal issues
• Responsibility for all legal and regulatory aspects of international trade (wholesale, B2C and potential other models) including establishment of an EU-based group company and distribution hub.
• Working with external advisors, ensure licensing compliance across all areas of the business.
• Managing contractual and IP disputes (UK and internationally)
• Take a commercial approach to raising the profile of data protection within the business working with teams on privacy challenges, best practice, and governance.
• Horizon scan for new privacy laws, regulations, and standards, and monitor advancements in information privacy technologies
• Liaise with external advisers, the Information Commissioner’s Office, and other regulators.
• On-going management of legal risk, business standards and monitoring of accountabilities raised above.
• Education of and provision of advice to key business stakeholders on legal risk, regulation, and mitigation
• Chair the Risk Leadership Team and work with relevant stakeholders to monitor and manage compliance risks, reporting to the Executive on areas outside of appetite.
• Ensure all contracts comply with internal legal and business practices and procedures.
• Identify the need for external legal advice and provide advice to leaders when they are seeking this. Support management of outside counsel including budgets
• Keep up to date with legislative changes and apply appropriately providing timely advice to leaders to ensure relevant and understood.
Previous experience (including qualifications where relevant):
• UK Qualified lawyer 8+ pqe trained in a top commercial law firm/in house team with proven legal drafting and negotiating skills and with an analytical approach to problem solving.
• Experience of working in a fast paced, omni-channel retail business
• Ability to take a balanced and pragmatic approach to commercial risk; and inspire to be a true partner and trusted advisor to the business at all levels.
• Strong and proven relationship management experience at all levels
• Strong organisation and project management skills to enable management of multiple projects.
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to break down complex legal issues for the wider business with providing appropriate solutions.
• Ability to work as part of a team or independently and on own initiative.
• Working knowledge of Data Protection Act, consumer legislation and other relevant laws
• Experience of dealing with regulators
We are committed to developing your career and nurturing your talent, regardless of age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation. We respect and embrace each other’s differences, to create a truly inclusive environment.
In the last year alone, our people have been recognised and celebrated, winning awards for their outstanding contributions to Retail, Technology, Global Hospitality & Tourism, Visual Merchandising & Display, Customer Service and Local Community Awards.
In return, we offer:
• A competitive salary
• 28 days holidays pro rata (inc. bank holidays) and an extra day off for your birthday
• A fantastic subsidised staff restaurant which uses Fortnum’s ingredients
• A range of opportunities to develop and grow personally and professionally
• Excellent pension scheme